Protecting Your Financial Assets During Divorce Proceedings in Florida
If you or your spouse has initiated divorce proceedings in Florida, or you are considering divorce, it is important to protect your financial assets. Our experienced family law attorney in Florida can advise you as to how to go about obtaining a full picture of your financial situation in order to make informed decisions that affect your divorce.
How Can an Experienced Divorce Attorney in Florida Help?
Your family law attorney in Florida can take a look at your financial situation and personal circumstances when advising you how best to proceed as your divorce gets underway. Some of the issues your experienced Florida family law attorney can address include:
- Investigating whether your spouse is hiding financial assets, and helping you gain access to hidden records if applicable;
- Assisting you in gaining access to all of your accounts and necessary documents;
- Helping you access the finances if you need to pay necessary bills and expenses if your spouse has engaged in financial abuse such as locking you out of accounts, canceling credit or bank cards, etc.;
- Taking steps to prevent your spouse from draining your accounts or fraudulently transferring your assets to others in an attempt to prevent you from accessing them;
- Contacting financial institutions to gain information about potential assets, investments, or suspicious financial activity;
- Obtaining information from your spouse’s employer regarding employer-controlled plans including retirement accounts, life insurance, health insurance and verifying accuracy of salary or wages;
- Reviewing your tax filings;
- Monitoring and repairing your credit throughout the divorce;
- Reviewing any prenuptial agreements and determining their legitimacy;
- Taking steps to protect any shared business interests you may have.
Family Law Mediation and Negotiation in Florida
If your spouse has not engaged in any financial abuse or hiding of assets and is willing to address financial concerns through mediation or negotiation, your experienced Florida family law attorney can work with your spouse’s legal team to attempt to reach agreement regarding fair division of assets, spousal support, child support and other matters.
Equitable Division of the Assets in Florida
Florida is considered an equitable division state, meaning that assets must be divided fairly, but not necessarily equally. While Florida begins with the premise of an equal division of marital assets and liabilities, if you and your spouse are not able to come to an agreement and proceed to trial, in fashioning its distribution of the marital estate, the court will take into account several factors, including but not limited to: the length of the marriage, each spouse’s contributions to the marriage, both financially and in terms of caring for and educating the children, and the economic circumstances of both parties.
Consult an Experienced Family Law Attorney in Florida
Initiating divorce proceedings is often intimidating, but having an experienced family law attorney in Florida on your side can help you have peace of mind of knowing someone is looking out for your best interest throughout the process.
Our experienced divorce attorney in Florida at the Law Offices of David L. Hirschberg, P.A. has experience working with all types of family dynamics, from amicable divorces in which both parties are upfront about all financial assets to cases of extreme financial abuse in which one spouse has maintained a great degree of power and control over all the finances. We can help you today.