Your Rights When Your Child’S Other Parent Denies Timesharing With The Child

Time Sharing

Parenting as a team is not easy, but parenting on opposite teams is much more difficult. It is not uncommon for married couples to disagree about everything from punishment styles to what the child is and is not allowed to wear to school, but while those arguments typically end in compromise, split parents typically find it difficult to find even ground. As a result, many find themselves constantly fighting over the same minor details. A select few parents, however, find themselves embroiled in a custody withholding case.

Withholding timesharing in violation of a court Order, even in cases in which a parent believes that the child is being abused or neglected by his or her other parent, may be considered illegal and improper by the court. In these instances, a parent is still required to go through the court for intervention. If your child’s other parent refuses to let you see your child, or if he or she picks and chooses when you are allowed to see your child instead of following court orders, you do have rights. The Boca Raton child custody attorneys at the Law Offices of David L. Hirschberg, P.A., can inform you of your rights and let you know what steps you need to take to uphold them.

Records Help 

If your child’s other parent makes it a habit of refusing to let you see your child during scheduled times, keep track of the incidences. Mark the date, time, and details of each time your former partner denies you visitation time. If you feel that it is necessary, call the police regarding the situation. Even if the officer cannot help you (though they should be able to if you have a court order), the record of your complaint will be made official and filed away. These records may prove to be more useful than your own personal logs.

Do Not Respond in Kind 

Do not try to take matters into your own hands. While you may be tempted to make up for lost time by denying your former partner his or her visitation time, doing so will only hurt you. Two wrongs do not make a right.  In maintaining your cool, you can show the judge that you are the mature parent in the relationship and that you are more likely to encourage a healthy and ongoing relationship between your child and his or her other parent. Judges generally favor these kinds of parents when there is contested child-related proceedings.

Hire an Attorney 

Navigating the family court system can be a frustrating and complicated endeavor, one that may leave you feeling defeated as opposed to reassured. Time is of the essence, and the longer you take to file a complaint regarding the situation, the less likely the courts are to take you seriously. Retain the help of an experienced child custody lawyer in Boca Raton to achieve the best possible outcome. A knowledgeable attorney can advise you on the best course of action and guide you through the legal process as quickly as possible. The right attorney can even reveal options a less experienced person or lawyer may have ignored. Call the Law Offices of David L. Hirschberg, P.A. to discuss your options today.

Related Posts
  • Preparing For Holidays In Your Boca Raton Parenting Plan Read More
  • When Does Child Support End In Florida? Read More
  • What To Expect After Establishing Paternity Read More